Label Cloud


Powered By:Blogger Widgets

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Save the Children's Park



Photos by dumell
So, I found about this a bit late, but there is a campaign going on to save the Children's park organized by Michael Kohn. This is the only park in UB and I have tons of fond childhood memories associated with this place. And I am sure I'm not the only one. So, this park, with lots of trees and a pond was a perfect place to relax and get away from the city's pollution and noise. Until some greedy bastards decided to close it and build there an apartment complex. Sign the petition to show your support of the park.

If you would like to write a letter to Prime Minister Bayar expressing your support of the Children’s Park please type up your letter and mail it to Michael Kohn at this address:

Michael Kohn
Children’s Park Campaign
1045 Macadamia Dr
Burlingame, CA 94010
USA

The following is a form letter you can use to copy, print out, sign and send. You can add to it by writing your own thoughts, concerns and stories. It’s just a template to get you started. Please try to send your letters by November 15…


Dear Prime Minster Bayar,

I am writing to you out of concern for the closed Children’s Park. I understand that the park has been slated for redevelopment and will be filled with apartment blocks and office buildings. I regret this decision and urge you to take any means from developing the park commercially. It must remain a public place for use by the citizens of Ulaanbaatar.

As the only park in the city it needs to be preserved and maintained for the benefit of all Mongolians. The park is a haven of peace and quiet in the center of the busy city, a place where families can relax and children can play. Saving the park will promote good health as citizens can use it for walking, jogging and biking. The park is a monument for the city and admired by foreign visitors who come to Ulaanbaatar for business and pleasure. The park breaks up the urban sprawl and its greenery reduces air pollution.

The park does not need major redevelopment. It does not need a fancy amusement park or shops. It should be saved as an open space with pathways, small ponds, grassy fields and trees. I urge you to stop any development projects and to save the Children's Park for future generations of Mongolians.

Thank you,

(Print and sign your name)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very sad, this has been going on for a while now...seems like the end is near. I cannot believe it. I heard many stories from friends from Mongolia about this place...

I hope I can visit this in the future. My letter is on it's way, this should not happen...!

mglmusic said...

Thanks for the support , Rowan. I am very pessimistic about this, but I still have a tiny bit of hope that they won't destroy the park. They lied to the people that they were "renovating" the park, instead they are going to make it disappear. I am sending my letter on Monday. I refuse to give up yet.